lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Colosseum WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-16-2003, 07:00 AM   #1
clu

Colosseum WIP [Released!]

<EDIT ON 6/1/03>

Colosseum Version 1.0 has been released! You can download it from the following link:

http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/download/index.htm

It's around 67 meg, but if your modem is up for the challenge, give it a try. Feel free to post back and let me know what you think and if you encounter any problems. To find out more informationyou can visit my site.

-clu

p.s. I've also submitted it to pcgamemods.com, jediknightii.net, jk2files.com and massassi.net, but I'm not sure when they will get around to posting it.

</EDIT ON 6/1/03>

I've been working on this for a while but I thought I'd finally post some screenies. It's a single player campaign that takes place in ancient Rome:

-clu

Last edited by clu; 07-01-2003 at 03:31 PM.
clu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
Kengo

*Checks again to make sure he didn't imagine it*

Well, your avatar finally makes sense! This actually looks like another game created with the Q3 engine, got to be the most completely modded (proper) SP campaign I've seen by a distance, very, very impressive! Did you create all those skins yourself or did you call in outside help for that?

This is.....way too good. Just.....very amazing. So, can you reveal details of the plot, and what do you think the ETA for this mod is, and what percent would you estimate you are completed so far on this? Wow, just wow.

------------------------------------------------
www.map-review.com
Kengo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Pnut_Man
Existential to the Core

I can't believe you converted jedi outcast into a gladiator game...That takes alot of work, i'm very impressed

- Formally hated, praised, and known as Pnut_Man
Pnut_Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
lassev
cryptoscripter

Amazing. Truly amazing to the last detail. I had no idea. Considering all those little questions of yours I should have guessed this will be such a perfect entirety. I can't wait to play this. I wonder what kind of sounds you have added?
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
The Truthful Liar
In-Transit

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Top notch work indeed!

"Whatever action is performed by a great man, common men follow in his footsteps. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues."
The Truthful Liar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
Leslie Judge
Teacher

I know this is not a constructive criticism but...

No words... Whoa! And etc.

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
clu

Hey thanks so much for the positive feedback.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kengo
Did you create all those skins yourself or did you call in outside help for that?
I did all the models/skins myself. It's my first foray into mapping/modelling/modding etc and I just wanted to do it all to try to teach myself (with tons of help from this excellent forum of course)

Quote:
So, can you reveal details of the plot, and what do you think the ETA for this mod is, and what percent would you estimate you are completed so far on this?
It's a pretty short campaign. The last level is complete (trying to beta test it right now) and there will probably be three total. The majority of art assets are complete (textures, models, audio, interface) so now it's all mapping and scripting.

Plotwise, you play the role of a two-bit thief named Gluteus. In the last level you find yourself on the emperor's bad side and awaiting death in the Colosseum dungeon. Wacky fun and mahem ensue.

Quote:
This actually looks like another game created with the Q3 engine?
I saw Lucasarts doing an RPG called "Gladius". Is this the one you mean or another?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lassev
I wonder what kind of sounds you have added?[/B]
Lots of swords clanging, flesh slicing and crowds cheering!

-clu

Old 05-16-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

*battle music from Hans Zimmer's Gladiator score starts playing in Wedge's head*

Hey..."Gluteus"...that's definitely a play on the main character of Gladiator's name. Very tongue-in-cheek.

That map, textures, models, weapons, all look incredibly cool. I wanna play.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
clu

Yeah that music is excellent. I listened to that whole soundtrack way too much while making this thing. Just makes you want to go out and pick a swordfight with someone.

-clu

Old 05-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
DarkLord60
Something In the Way

No freakin way that is JO that is awesome good work.

DarkLord60 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2003, 02:27 AM   #11
master_thomas

I wish I could do nearly as good as that. Just...amazing.

The flower petals (those are what the red things are coming out of the sky, right?) are modified snow, aren't they?

Glow achieved 3/23/03 at 3:20 without any donations.

Current WIP: The Attack on Yavin series.

"Homer Simpson: 'Don't ever say that! Stupid risks make life worth while. Now, you mother is more stable and that's okay in small doses, but I'm always taking stupid risks. That's why I have so many adventures. Now what do you want to do?'

Lisa: 'Well, I would like to go to the museum, but it's closed.'

Homer: 'So breaking in would be a pretty stupid risk. What do ya say, honey? Feeling stupid?"
"Thomas" on MP
master_thomas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2003, 05:57 AM   #12
clu

Quote:
Originally posted by master_thomas
The flower petals (those are what the red things are coming out of the sky, right?) are modified snow, aren't they?
It's an animated shader. Terry DeLany did an excellent tutorial on "falling leaves" available at quake3.qeradiant.com. Just substituted leaves for some rose petals.

-clu

Old 05-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #13
Altus_Thrawn

Wowwwwwwwwwww

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Thanks to ZeeMan for the sig!
Altus_Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
__CKY__

That is so awesome...Where can I get it?? lol
__CKY__ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #15
clu

Quote:
Originally posted by __CKY__
That is so awesome...Where can I get it?? lol I Am a Beta tester Pick me to Beta for you
I've got a couple people beta testing one demo level right now. If you're interested, email me at jakekeating@hotmail.com and I'll get you a copy.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=99520

(fair warning - the PK3 is about 60megs at the moment due to a couple of large video ROQ files)

-clu

Old 05-18-2003, 03:07 AM   #16
Lord Glorfindel

I just want to say this MOD is worth waiting for, I beta tested the demo it rocks!!! This is sure to be a great SP mod, CLU has done alot to make this mod great.
Lord Glorfindel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #17
Jrob

I just tested the demo and I was utterly amazed at the effort that went into this mod. This mod is definitely worth the wait. The seamless models, skins and maps is the closest I have seen in being correct to the timeline.

Great work.
Jrob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #18
clu

Thanks Jrob and Lord G. I'm really glad you enjoyed playing through. Your feedback in the beta thread is going to help polish the level and hopefully shape the rest of the campaign.

Thanks again for taking the time to play through and for the valuable feedback.

-clu

Old 05-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #19
__CKY__

Quote:
Originally posted by clu
I've got a couple people beta testing one demo level right now. If you're interested, email me at jakekeating@hotmail.com and I'll get you a copy.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=99520

(fair warning - the PK3 is about 60megs at the moment due to a couple of large video ROQ files)

-clu
Alright you'll probaly get an email from me in like err a minute lol. And 60 Megs is alright with me its well worth it .
__CKY__ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 06:11 AM   #20
lassev
cryptoscripter

Now that I have beta tested Colosseum, I can say this demo is absolutely worth every byte you download. Have a look inside the .pk3 and you'll notice it's 100% business. This is a unique level, and one you don't want to miss.
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #21
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Incredible!
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 06:33 PM   #22
clu

Thanks again to lassev for testing (100% business...I love it). I mentioned in the beta thread that I highly recommend lassev and Lord Glorfindel for thourough beta testing. The feedback I got was detailed and informative.

Thanks again gents!

-clu

Old 05-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #23
Lord Glorfindel

Quote:
Originally posted by clu

Thanks again gents!

-clu
your welcome! I have one question though, when will this mod be made public?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:23 AM   #24
clu

As soon as I get feedback from all the beta testers, I'll work on implementing some changes then just release the demo (probably a few weeks just to be conservative). The whole campaign (all three levels) is harder to predict. "When it's done" I guess!

Any recommendations where to try to post this thing when its done? I know "pcgamemods" seems like a cool site, but I'm pretty ignorant of these things. Plus I don't know if they'll take a 60meg file.

-clu

Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 AM   #25
Lord Glorfindel

I believe JKII.net biggest file they have on there server is the Dark Forces Demo, which is 30Megs, and thats the biggest file I can find in any JKII site
Old 05-20-2003, 02:23 AM   #26
clu

Oh well. Probably just end up posting it on my site if worse comes to worse.

-clu

Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #27
Kengo

I am pretty certain pcgamemods would allow you a file of a large size man. You'll do well to get a file on JKII.net, their file server has been down for what, 4 months? Massassi.net would also put a file that big up I'd have thought, but their file server is also down ATM. JK2Files would probabaly post it too, they like mods in particular it seems. I doubt a massive file size will stop them, think of all these 120 MEG movies of upcoming games and such...

I finished the download last night, I will now procede to give it a go, feedback later today

www.map-review.com
Old 05-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #28
Kengo

Having played it a little I can say this: The screenshots don't do it justice. This is definately worth that download, even at the 7KB/second that I get This is unique.

www.map-review.com
Old 05-20-2003, 09:49 PM   #29
clu

Hey, thanks again, Kengo. Especially considering that massive 7 kb/sec throughput you're dealing with.

<praise 4 kengo>
Again, I'd just like to say that Kengo's feedback was extremely detailed and helpful. Lassev suggested I contact Kengo and I can say he has an excellent set of eyes for reviewing maps constructively. Thanks again, sir.
</praise 4 kengo>

Quote:
[B]I am pretty certain pcgamemods would allow you a file of a large size man. You'll do well to get a file on JKII.net, their file server has been down for what, 4 months? Massassi.net would also put a file that big up I'd have thought, but their file server is also down ATM. JK2Files would probabaly post it too, they like mods in particular it seems. I doubt a massive file size will stop them, think of all these 120 MEG movies of upcoming games and such...[B]
Cool, I'll check them all out when this thing is finished. Thanks again.

-clu

Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #30
Lord Glorfindel

How is the work coming along on this mod clu?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #31
clu

Should be out soon. I actually had to take a bit of a break from it since I just graduated and am in the process of moving. If all goes well it should be out in a few weeks now. I'll post back when it's done.

-clu

Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #32
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Can't wait!
Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2003, 03:32 AM   #33
Arkum

reminds of a great movie, Gladiator. man, this looks SWEET. finally, something that'll be worth downloading. cant wiat.
Arkum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #34
Louis

About the file uploading, I am somewhat a webmaster myself and just wanted to say that I think Kengo is right, definately try to get it on all 4 main servers (pcgamemods [most important IMO], jediknightii.net, jk2files.com, massassi.net), of course some are down but you will get lots of downloaders even if you just the file on 1 or 2.

It's looking great man, Kengo has told me that it's really really really amazing

Louis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2003, 10:15 PM   #35
clu

Cool. Thanks for the info and comments. Something must be up with the email notification...I never seem to get notified when there are new posts on this thread.

Should be coming soon. Not much to finish, just a matter of finding the time now to sit down and do it.

-clu

Old 07-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #36
clu

Colosseum Version 1.0

Colosseum Version 1.0 has been released! You can download it from the following link:

http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/download/index.htm

It's around 67 meg, but if your modem is up for the challenge, give it a try. Feel free to post back and let me know what you think and if you encounter any problems. To find out more informationyou can visit my site.

-clu

p.s. I've also submitted it to pcgamemods.com, jediknightii.net, jk2files.com and massassi.net, but I'm not sure when they will get around to posting it.

Old 07-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #37
Kengo

Wow, amazing news man!

Congratulations to you Clu, I very much look forward to playing this!

www.map-review.com
Old 07-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #38
Louis

WOW, I just finished this, I'm pretty much speechless...amazing, this is like a totally new game. Can't wait to see more.

One question though...on those ROQ files, what did you do to make those? Obviously you took like a movie of the scene, then created some text and rendered it, then compiled it somehow? I was just wondering, because I sorta would like to know how.

Louis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #39
clu

Hey glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Louis
One question though...on those ROQ files, what did you do to make those?
Those ROQ videos are a combination of:

1) pre-rendered animations (3DS Max and Poser)

2) In-game recordings ("cl_avidemo 60" then pieced together in Premiere as quicktime files)

3) AfterEffects was then use to edit it all together, add text, transitions, etc.

-clu

Old 07-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #40
master_thomas

Thumbs up

Nice job, Clu. Just played it. This is a great map.

Gluteus Maximus, nice name .

Glow achieved 3/23/03 at 3:20 without any donations.

Current WIP: The Attack on Yavin series.

"Homer Simpson: 'Don't ever say that! Stupid risks make life worth while. Now, you mother is more stable and that's okay in small doses, but I'm always taking stupid risks. That's why I have so many adventures. Now what do you want to do?'

Lisa: 'Well, I would like to go to the museum, but it's closed.'

Homer: 'So breaking in would be a pretty stupid risk. What do ya say, honey? Feeling stupid?"
"Thomas" on MP
master_thomas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Showcase forum > Mapping > Colosseum WIP