lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Skybox Detail With Terragen
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Obsidian-Jovani

Question Skybox Detail With Terragen

I'm at the point of making a custom skybox for my project. I created my world in Terragen and then when I go to do my final Rendering of all 6 images I notice the "Detail" slider. I know that the higher the detail is the longer the Rendering time takes. But with the slider in the middle the detail doesn't look good.

Now my question is if the Detail slider is in the middle will the sky inside the game look this bad or is it unnoticable?

Binary Sunset Studios

WIP: A SP Project entitled "Resurgence"
Obsidian-Jovani is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #2
Leslie Judge
Teacher

Every setting of Detail which is not the rightmost one isn't good for final renders, just for speeded up tests.

Actually an 512x512 final render can look bad in game. I recommend 1024x1024 sized skybox textures.

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
War Master

Crank up the settings as much as you can. Check the 3-D cloud option too. It'll take a long time to compile but it's worth it. I compiled a skybox with all the settings maxed out and it took a little over 6 hours with an Athlon XP 2400+ and 512 DDR RAM. I don't recommend compressing the jpegs either because you will lose quality but that's up to you, a little won't hurt too much.
War Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

It will look worse, because it'll look like that but blurry from the texture filtering. Just render at high quality.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Obsidian-Jovani

Well I rendered all 6 images at full detail and most took about an hour on my machine, except for the down image which only took 30 mins.

Binary Sunset Studios

WIP: A SP Project entitled "Resurgence"
Obsidian-Jovani is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Skybox Detail With Terragen